Metallic Product Release Notes
The latest and greatest of Metallic’s product releases by month.
- Oracle PDB Clone Support: Enables users to quickly clone data in Oracle or Oracle RAC pluggable database (PDB), without a production database interruption.
- Azure Snapshot Locks: Enables users to lock Azure resource groups to prevent the creation and deletion of snapshots during backups.
- Dynamics365 Restore Compare: Provides Dynamics 365 users with the ability to compare records and pinpoint changed items for targeted point-in-time restores.
- Teams HTML Restore Option: Enables customers to restore Teams chats out-of-place to HTML file.
- Salesforce Backup Health Report: Allows customers to easily assess backup operations to ensure critical Cloud data is continuously protected.
- VM to Azure Conversion Improvements: Provides users with the ability to restore existing Azure VMs or convert other hypervisor VMs to Azure using a different disk encryption set (DES) than their source.
- Periodic Azure App Validation: Silently validates Azure Apps credentials in the background, to ensure there are no changes or impact backup/restore operations.
- Regional Status View: Enables customers to access the Health of their Metallic services by Region from within the Hub.
- Salesforce API updates: Updated Metallic support for latest Salesforce API (Winter’22 v 543).
- Security IQ Anomaly Enhancements: Provides users with new insights into anomaly characteristics, indicating if protected files are potentially encrypted or corrupted.
- Metallic Community: Provides Metallic customers with a one-stop location to access product resources, network with peers, interact with industry experts, learn best practices, and maximize your Metallic investment. Access the Community today directly from within the Metallic Hub.
- OneDrive Error Reports: Users can now quickly review failed backup and restore items associated with OneDrive shares. This complements our existing SharePoint, Teams, and Dynamics error reporting functionality.
- Dynamics 365 Setup Enhancements: Simplifies the setup process, automating the creation of background users for backup and restore operations.
- Server Plan Improvements: Enables users to edit the retention periods of existing Metallic Cloud Storage Service plans created before Dec 31, 2021.
- API Support for Managed Service Providers: Allows MSPs to integrate Portal operations into scripts and workflows through exposure of new Metallic APIs.
- User Deletion for Managed Service Providers: Provides MSP Portal Admins with the ability delete users within Metallic.
- Edit Users for Managed Service Providers: Provides MSP Portal Admins with the ability to edit user First and Last names within Metallic.
- Customizable retention plans for Metallic Cloud Storage Service: Provides customers with greater flexibility by allowing retention periods to be customized in hybrid cloud backup plans using Metallic Cloud Storage Service.
- Metallic Support Portal: Users can now access our Support portal right from within the Metallic Hub, providing new self-service options including access to our growing knowledge base, documentation and full case management capabilities such as creating cases, updating existing cases, resolving cases and reviewing case history with ease.
- Metallic PCI Certification: Metallic is now PCI DSS certified, meeting rigorous standards on how payment card data is stored, processed, secured, and maintained across our entire platform.
- Salesforce Comparison Report: Enables customers to create comparison reports across all backup data types, now including metadata.
- Enhanced Salesforce Restore Operations: Simplifies the process of searching and selecting data for record-level restore and Sandbox seeding tasks.
- New Metallic Cloud Storage Service regional availability: Expands Metallic Cloud Storage Service availability into United Arab Emirates and Singapore enabling Commvault Complete customers to support data residency requirements and deliver better local performance.
New AWS Capabilities
- Amazon EC2 Support: Metallic now protects Amazon EC2 instances through Metallic VM & Kubernetes Backup.
- Amazon S3 Support: Metallic now protects Amazon S3 through Metallic File & Object Backup.
- AWS Database Support: Metallic now protects AWS databases including RDS (including AuroraDB), DocumentDB, DynamoDB, and Redshift through Metallic Database Backup.
- AWS Storage Class: Users can reduce storage costs by leveraging lower-cost Amazon S3 Storage tiers in Metallic.
- Secondary Storage: Users can bring their own Amazon S3 storage or (optionally) select MCSS as their secondary storage.
- Automated Configuration of AWS IAM Policies and Roles: simplifies and accelerates day one setup.
- Deduplication and Compression: Reduces storage costs, as well as cost of multi-region copies.
- Office 365 and Dynamics 365 Configuration: Users can now use Multi-Factor Authentication throughout the Metallic express configuration process and without needing to provide Global Administrator credentials.
- Office 365 Performance: Improved performance for SharePoint and OneDrive backups
- New Metallic Usage Reports: Enables users to view monthly, and overall peak usage trends across all purchased Metallic services.
- Simplified Backup of Microsoft Teams: This enhancement removes the need for a service account to perform Teams backup and recovery operations and ensures that these service accounts do not appear within the Teams interface.
- Salesforce Backup Improvements: Improved error handling alerts, job pending reports, language updates, and tool tips to better assist users and administrator
- VM Custom Attributes Support: New support for VM Custom Attributes and VM vApp Options, enabling users to backup and restore custom attributes.
- Metallic Government Cloud Expansion: Expanded coverage of Metallic Government Cloud, introducing new support for the following workloads:
- Dynamics 365: For Dynamics 365 and GCC High environments
- Salesforce: Complete protection for content, objects, custom objects, and files in production or sandbox environments on Salesforce’s Government Clouds.
- Security IQ Dashboard: Provides users with advanced tools and insights to assist customers with bolstering their backup security stature broadly across protected workloads. Apply multi authorization controls, validate encryption status, and investigate audit trail information to affirm data is secured and protected from changes. Monitor for anomalous activity caused by ransomware or other unauthorized changes and quickly recover data in a pre-anomalous state to ensure recovery objectives.
- Migration Assist App: Performance efficiencies for faster restores and enhanced error reporting for easy troubleshooting within Endpoints.
- Office 365 MSP Report: Provides MSPs with new backup and indexing reports for customer tenant environments.
- SAML Identify Provider Enhancements: Enhanced SAML user authentication for Office 365 and Endpoints for easier integration with identify providers (such as Okta and Azure AD) and use of custom attributes (such as user name or full name).
- Advanced View Navigation Menu: In the “Advanced view” users can expand and hide the left-hand navigation menu by clicking the hamburger icon
- Salesforce User Permissions Report: Identifies any missing Salesforce permissions that may impact the administrator’s ability to correctly perform backup or restore operations in Metallic.
- View SharePoint, Teams, Dynamics Failed Items Report: Exposes task failures to provide users with better clarity on reasons behind backup and restore failures.
Metallic Government Cloud workload expansion
Expanded coverage of Metallic™ Government Cloud offering, introducing new support for the following workloads:
- Endpoint Backup: for laptop and desktop data
- VM & Kubernetes Backup: for cloud-native and on-prem data
- Database Backup: for essential databases
- File & Object Backup: for unstructured data types
- Metallic™ Cloud Storage Service: flexible cloud storage target for short and long-term retention
Storage application report
New storage report for a single view into Metallic Cloud Storage Service utilization.
- Office 365 Backup Health Report: View key insights into backup health and statuses across all protected Office 365 applications.
- Assign Endpoint backups by group associations: Configure multi-plan backup content per AD or associated user groups.
- Metering enhancements for Virtual Machines: Metering enhancements for hybrid workloads in virtualized environments will reflect all protected virtual machines, including VMs that are hosting databases, files or objects. Capacity reported in the Database Backup or File & Object Backup will only reflect the capacity for databases, files and objects protected in physical environments.
- Enhanced Job Item Notices: Improved item-level failure notices within Office 365 and Salesforce.
- Simplified multi-geo configuration: Simplified configuration for multi-geo support for OneDrive and SharePoint via Dynamic AD group.
- Optimization changes to metering and billing for customers. Ensures workloads running in virtualized and physical environments are appropriately metered. Providing clear visibility into current usage.
Metallic Hybrid BaaS Cloud – Hot and Cool Tier Storage
Cool storage is now available for Metallic BaaS hybrid cloud offerings for long-term retention use cases. With this latest addition, both hot and cool storage tiers are now available to support short- and long-term retention use cases as a backup target for both Commvault software and Metallic BaaS – giving our customers even more options for easy cloud storage to save costs and strengthen their ransomware protection.
- Azure Active Directory: This is a key part of our customers’ security strategy, and we are now delivering this service free of charge with purchase of any Metallic subscription. Metallic now covers both Microsoft Active Directory as well as Azure Active Directory, adding to the rich set of workloads already protected by Metallic. Customers will see Active Directory as a separate tile in the Metallic Hub.
Delivering Enterprise-grade data protection for Microsoft Dynamics 365
Introducing Metallic Backup for Microsoft Dynamics 365, which provides enterprise-proven, comprehensive data backup and recovery for both production and sandbox environments. It also provides safeguards against data loss threats such as deletion, corruption, and attacks by malicious insiders and ransomware. This is the first offering from Commvault that’s launching exclusively through Metallic BaaS and offers a comprehensive data protection experience across the business including Marketing, Sales, Customer Service, and Field Service applications. This new Metallic service is built on industry-leading Commvault technologies and powered by the durability, security and scalability of Azure to provide comprehensive protection for your valuable data—all with the simplicity of SaaS.
- Salesforce: If you use AWS as a cloud platform, you can Bring Your Own Storage (BYOS). With BYOS, you can manage your data portfolio within a single cloud provider.
- Active Directory: You can view restore points for Microsoft Active Directory backups.
- Azure VM: For restored virtual machines, you can specify the disk type and the availability zone.
- Office 365: To mitigate the risk of throttling, Metallic will recommend when to add additional backup Apps for Office 365 applications.
- Oracle: A backup preview is included in the readiness check to verify that all prerequisites are met prior to running the backup job.