Metallic Product Release Notes
The latest and greatest of Metallic’s product releases by month.
- VM Custom Attributes Support: New support for VM Custom Attributes and VM vApp Options, enabling users to backup and restore custom attributes.
- Metallic Government Cloud Expansion: Expanded coverage of Metallic Government Cloud, introducing new support for the following workloads:
- Dynamics 365: For Dynamics 365 and GCC High environments
- Salesforce: Complete protection for content, objects, custom objects, and files in production or sandbox environments on Salesforce’s Government Clouds.
- Migration Assist App: Performance efficiencies for faster restores and enhanced error reporting for easy troubleshooting within Endpoints.
- Office 365 MSP Report: Provides MSPs with new backup and indexing reports for customer tenant environments.
- SAML Identify Provider Enhancements: Enhanced SAML user authentication for Office 365 and Endpoints for easier integration with identify providers (such as Okta and Azure AD) and use of custom attributes (such as user name or full name).
- Advanced View Navigation Menu: In the “Advanced view” users can expand and hide the left-hand navigation menu by clicking the hamburger icon
- Salesforce User Permissions Report: Identifies any missing Salesforce permissions that may impact the administrator’s ability to correctly perform backup or restore operations in Metallic.
- View SharePoint, Teams, Dynamics Failed Items Report: Exposes task failures to provide users with better clarity on reasons behind backup and restore failures.
Metallic Government Cloud workload expansion
Expanded coverage of Metallic™ Government Cloud offering, introducing new support for the following workloads:
- Endpoint Backup: for laptop and desktop data
- VM & Kubernetes Backup: for cloud-native and on-prem data
- Database Backup: for essential databases
- File & Object Backup: for unstructured data types
- Metallic™ Cloud Storage Service: flexible cloud storage target for short and long-term retention
Storage application report
New storage report for a single view into Metallic Cloud Storage Service utilization.
- Office 365 Backup Health Report: View key insights into backup health and statuses across all protected Office 365 applications.
- Assign Endpoint backups by group associations: Configure multi-plan backup content per AD or associated user groups.
- Metering enhancements for Virtual Machines: Metering enhancements for hybrid workloads in virtualized environments will reflect all protected virtual machines, including VMs that are hosting databases, files or objects. Capacity reported in the Database Backup or File & Object Backup will only reflect the capacity for databases, files and objects protected in physical environments.
- Enhanced Job Item Notices: Improved item-level failure notices within Office 365 and Salesforce.
- Simplified multi-geo configuration: Simplified configuration for multi-geo support for OneDrive and SharePoint via Dynamic AD group.
- Optimization changes to metering and billing for customers. Ensures workloads running in virtualized and physical environments are appropriately metered. Providing clear visibility into current usage.
Metallic Hybrid BaaS Cloud – Hot and Cool Tier Storage
Cool storage is now available for Metallic BaaS hybrid cloud offerings for long-term retention use cases. With this latest addition, both hot and cool storage tiers are now available to support short- and long-term retention use cases as a backup target for both Commvault software and Metallic BaaS – giving our customers even more options for easy cloud storage to save costs and strengthen their ransomware protection.
- Azure Active Directory: This is a key part of our customers’ security strategy, and we are now delivering this service free of charge with purchase of any Metallic subscription. Metallic now covers both Microsoft Active Directory as well as Azure Active Directory, adding to the rich set of workloads already protected by Metallic. Customers will see Active Directory as a separate tile in the Metallic Hub.
Delivering Enterprise-grade data protection for Microsoft Dynamics 365
Introducing Metallic Backup for Microsoft Dynamics 365, which provides enterprise-proven, comprehensive data backup and recovery for both production and sandbox environments. It also provides safeguards against data loss threats such as deletion, corruption, and attacks by malicious insiders and ransomware. This is the first offering from Commvault that’s launching exclusively through Metallic BaaS and offers a comprehensive data protection experience across the business including Marketing, Sales, Customer Service, and Field Service applications. This new Metallic service is built on industry-leading Commvault technologies and powered by the durability, security and scalability of Azure to provide comprehensive protection for your valuable data—all with the simplicity of SaaS.
- Salesforce: If you use AWS as a cloud platform, you can Bring Your Own Storage (BYOS). With BYOS, you can manage your data portfolio within a single cloud provider.
- Active Directory: You can view restore points for Microsoft Active Directory backups.
- Azure VM: For restored virtual machines, you can specify the disk type and the availability zone.
- Office 365: To mitigate the risk of throttling, Metallic will recommend when to add additional backup Apps for Office 365 applications.
- Oracle: A backup preview is included in the readiness check to verify that all prerequisites are met prior to running the backup job.